City Facts for Ballwin, MO
Located in the heart of West St. Louis County, Ballwin is a dynamic community with slightly under 10,000 residential homes. The city was founded by John Ball, the son of an Irish immigrant who served in the Revolutionary War. Money Magazine named it one of the best places to live in 2005, 2011, and 2013. Just a small town with just a few homes when it was founded in 1837, by the time the city was incorporated in 1950, the population had grown to over 750 people. Today is it home to over 32,000.
Ballwin, dedicated to preserving its ambiance and character, maintains a balance of residential, commercial, and industrial land use. It offers residents a quality lifestyle: it is served by triple A rated school districts, is within a 30-minute drive of five major colleges and universities, and is less than an hour’s drive from the St. Louis-Lambert International Airport. Residential architectural styles are diverse, and there’s easy access to all types of shopping, entertainment, and recreational facilities, including the city’s state-of-the-art community center, The Pointe at Ballwin Commons. Several parks offer tennis courts, game fields, and lakes.
One of the city’s most famous landmarks is the Barn at Lucerne, located on Kehrs Mill Road. Originally known as the Blue Grass Stock Farm, the structure was also once an antique auto museum. After the property was badly damaged by a fire in 1968, local engineer, Paul Londe, led a redevelopment effort that saw the building completely renovated. It reopened in 1974 and is home to a number of retail, dining, and entertainment establishments.