Creating a relaxing and stylish outdoor living space for your Greater St. Louis area home can greatly increase its appeal and value while providing an oasis for family and friends to enjoy for years to come.
The best outdoor living space ideas strike a happy medium between low-maintenance and high-function. Whether you plan on adding a deck or sunroom or building an outdoor kitchen, we have some great ideas for outdoor living spaces that will enhance your home’s exterior.
Outdoor Living Space Ideas
It helps to first get your outdoor design lingo up to speed. Then get the ball rolling by thinking about the type of project you want to tackle and where you want to build it. Do you want a patio for barbecuing and entertaining? A raised deck with a bar, built-in appliances, and wood burning stove? Once you know what you want to build, it’s on to the practical details:
- How will you access the new space – from the kitchen, dining, living or family room?
- Do you want to join two or more interior rooms, like the kitchen and great room, through an extended outdoor space?
- Does your design establish good traffic patterns? Walkways, varying hardscape materials, and greenery can all help create a nice flow.
- Will any of the area be covered?
- Do you want an outdoor living room with a fireplace?
- Does your idea of backyard entertaining feature a gas-fed gourmet grill or a rustic pizza oven?
- Will you be putting in a pool or spa?
Most outdoor renovation projects can be done all-year long, but keep in mind that those that require digging, excavation, or pouring a foundation should be done before the ground freezes.
Take the Indoors Outside
Planning a stylish outdoor space is a lot of fun. Your budget, of course, dictates your project’s scope, but our designers will help you create the space you want at a price you can afford. We’ll also help with getting the permits you need and discuss any special design-build considerations.
- Outdoor living areas that are easily accessible to indoor rooms will get used more often. When designing your deck or patio, locate it off an interior room that sees a lot of traffic, such as the kitchen.
- Outdoor kitchens offer much more than al fresco dining. Bringing the entire cooking experience outside lets you and your guests enjoy the entire open-air experience – no more prepping and cooking food indoors while everyone’s at the party outside.
- To get the most out of your outdoor kitchen, design it with your family’s lifestyle in mind. Outdoor pizza ovens sound like a lot of fun, but not if you typically order in from your favorite pizzeria. Is there a grill-master in the family? Then by all means install a fully-loaded grilling station. A simpler approach: install a big-box store grill in a custom-built cooking center.
- An outdoor fire source can be used year-round and is a great place to curl up with a good book or gather with friends on chilly nights. Whether it’s a full-scale outdoor fireplace or a fire pit, it’s a great way to add elegance, comfort, and warmth to the backyard.
Landscaping & Water Features
Landscaping should be included in your original design. Our design team will help you make the most of your yard’s layout, helping you choose low-maintenance plantings that work for every season. Popular features including a perimeter wall with set-in accent lighting, pathway lights, and down-lighting on steps.
An outdoor space should take all the senses into consideration, including sound. There’s no more relaxing backyard sound than that of moving water, and a properly placed fountain or pond is a perfect focal point.
That Special Touch
Clever furniture arrangements can establish outdoor “rooms,” as can using different textures or outdoor rugs to break up dining and relaxing areas. Consider furnishings that do double duty: benches with storage and tables that are set inside planters work particularly well in smaller spaces.
A covered porch or pergola is great for adding shade, but they also let you add interest overhead by installing light fixtures, hanging lamps, and ceiling fans. Don’t forget about the outdoor speakers and sound system! Other attractive touches include trellises, awnings, and arches.
From small patios to expansive decks, well-designed and furnished outdoor living spaces are the ideal spots to hang out and enjoy the warmer weather. At J.T. McDermott, we love designing spaces that improve your family’s quality of life. To learn more about outdoor renovations in the Greater St. Louis area, schedule a conversation with us today. We look forward to meeting you!
Megan’s passion for design extends beyond her workplace. In her free time, Megan enjoys all types of crafts, including knitting, crocheting, and rehabbing/reupholstering furniture.