It wasn’t all that long ago that kitchens were hidden rooms in the back of the house where meals were prepared and pots and pans were washed. Fast forward to today’s kitchen, a focal point and hub of the home where everyone gathers first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
Kitchen design has changed as well over the past decades, with technological advances and changes in how people use the room contributing to the rise of the modern space. Here are some popular kitchen remodel trends we’re seeing through the Greater St. Louis area – ones that we think will have staying power for years to come.
From traditional to modern industrial, every style kitchen is becoming smarter. Technology plays a big part, and not just in fancy gadgets or appliances. Fixtures, refrigerators, and lighting are all getting in on the act. Sensor-equipped faucets that come on automatically, fridges that let you know when you’re running low on milk, and lighting you can control from your smartphone or tablet are some of the new trends homeowners are experimenting with.
Greige is the New White
Timeless classics, white cabinets are still extremely popular, but elegant grays are starting to pick up as a kitchen remodel trend. Some homeowners who choose to stick with white cabinets are changing them up a bit, such as using a mix of wood finishes for accent pieces. Grey cabinets work particularly well when there’s plenty of natural light in the room.
Contemporary Materials and Textures
Vintage and mid-century styles are still beloved, but many homeowners are taking bolder design chances. There are tons of new materials to pick from. Ceramic backsplashes, wide plank or salvaged wood flooring, mixed use of rough wood and metal, decorative trims, and textured glass are just some of today’s exciting choices.
Quartz Still on Top
For beautiful, high-end, fashionable countertops, quartz reigns supreme in the world of kitchen remodeling trends in St. Louis. Easy to maintain and incredibly durable, quartz can last virtually forever. Today, there’s a wide range of colors to choose from, including realistic stone patterns. Softer and more neutral colors are often preferred and for those who like a cleaner style, particulates win out over veining.
Full Capacity Cabinetry
It’s always been a designer’s challenge: all the unnecessary waste of space in cabinets. Since one of the key design elements to a successful and functional kitchen remodel is storage, there’s no room for inadequate or ineffective cabinetry. Homeowners now have a range of better storage solutions to choose from, including divided drawers for utensils, pull-out drawers for spices, and roll-outs for pots and pans. All are made to make daily life more effortless and make cooking fun.
What Style Are You?
No matter what style kitchen you prefer, there’s something trending for it. Here are just a few examples.
- Family-friendly kitchens are big. To make yours stand out, use dark floors, a seating area or bench, and what we call “trick” cabinets. Add a bit of vintage with a deep apron-front sink.
- Modern kitchens that are spacious and cleverly designed are perfect for cooking and entertaining. Today’s hot trends include glossy materials, clean lines, glass over porcelain, and a simple cabinet style.
- Entertainer kitchens call for lots of storage. Other on-trend features include a butler’s pantry, large center islands to gather around, high-end appliances, and eye-catching pops of color.
- Elegant kitchens offer a more refined and sophisticated look but also are taking advantage of newer options. Temperature controlled wine storage, tapestry runners, rich colors, and wood details are some of the favorite choices.
- Arts and crafts kitchens are a traditional look that’s casual and warm. A trademark of these kitchens is handcrafted furniture. Homeowners are adding copper accent, natural materials like stone and wood, and minimal décor on cabinet doors.
Catch a Kitchen Remodel Trend
J.T. McDermott Remodeling has been doing kitchen remodeling in the Greater St. Louis area for over 20 years. If you’re thinking about remodeling your kitchen and would like to learn more about the latest trends in kitchen design, schedule a consultation with us today. We look forward to showing you the latest in products and design that will work beautifully with your home and the way your family lives today.