It’s that time of the year again, when homeowners start to think about ways to update and improve their living spaces. When they talk about updating, people consistently mention lower maintenance, open floor plans, less cluttered living, and adding value to their home. Whether you’re thinking of remodeling for your family’s enjoyment, or to prepare for putting your home on the market, here are some of the most popular home remodeling ideas to update your space.
A kitchen update remains the number one remodeling project for improving a family’s lifestyle. A couple of today’s trend most likely to exhibit staying power:
- A classic black and white kitchen never loses its appeal. People are still choosing bright white lacquer cabinets and black granite countertops, but a modern twist is mixing two different styles, such as modern and traditional. For example, many choose warm, rustic wood floors to balance the high-tech look.
- If you’re not sold on the idea of a bold-colored sink or appliances, choose bold fixtures, instead. For example, oversized lighting suspended above an island or peninsula creates drama and gives a great sense of depth.
The biggest updates people are looking for in a bathroom remodel are those that include low maintenance materials, more luxurious showers, and more modern hardware and fixtures. They’re choosing:
- Engineered stone in place of marble, which requires regular sealing.
- Larger, curbless showers in place of seldom-used tubs.
- Pull-out tower shelving that has specialized compartments for things like hairdryers, and slides into the wall next to vanities.
Long gone are the days when basements were out of sight, out of mind, or used as big unfinished storage rooms. An upgraded basement can add a lot of enjoyment to your family’s life. From home entertainment space to teen hangout, you have plenty of options for sprucing up the lower level:
- Large basements can do double or even triple duty. Game rooms with bars, entertainment areas, and workout areas are just a few of the ideas.
- Multi-tasking spaces like home offices, hobby rooms, and kids’ playrooms are all great options.
- Many homeowners install a much-need additional bathroom, with some adding a sauna for post-workout relaxation.
Great rooms, family rooms, or dens – whatever you call yours, they’re one of the favorite places in the house for a family to hang out together or with friends. Updated window treatments, new fireplaces – there are lots of improvements you can make to bring this room up-to-date.
- Homeowners are mixing it up style-wise. For example, if you have several antique pieces you love, pair them up with more modern seating and light fixtures.
- Oversized furniture is making its way to the refinished basement, and smaller scaled furniture that preserves an open floor plan look is taking its place.
- Farmhouse style family rooms with one planked wall, farmhouse-style trim, and a crisp white paint job are big this year, creating a cozy and inviting space where everyone can comfortably hang out.
Nothing says “welcome to our home” like an inviting front door and entryway. It’s a compact place that can pack a lot of punch, and a fun space to play with design. To create a proper sense of arrival for family and friends alike, some people use the small size to experiment with a bold color, like red or chartreuse. Others are adding interesting architectural details to the door’s exterior, using arches to offer a visual key to the home. If people have to hunt for your front door – or you lack a foyer altogether – consider an addition that extends and transforms your home’s façade.
No update would be complete without the latest in home technology. Some innovations making life easier for homeowners everywhere include:
- Voice-activated assistants like Amazon’s Alexa and Google’s Home in kitchens, family rooms, bedrooms, and basements.
- Whole-house audio remains popular. No matter what remodeling project you’re considering, it’s worth having it installed at the same time. Don’t forget about speaker for the deck or backyard.
- On a smaller scale, think smart thermostats, door locks, and smartphone-controlled security systems.
Need more inspiration? Talk to our designers, Megan and Brittany, who are ready to help you find the perfect remodeling solutions to update your home. If you want to learn more about updating your space, or to speak with one of designers, schedule a conversation today to discuss your ideas and needs. We look forward to meeting you!