The toilet remained in the same location, but we were not able to completely eliminate an awkward chase in the corner because it was part of the chimney on the first floor. However, we were able to minimize the framing surrounding the chase, reducing its size. The sunken tub was removed, the floor rebuilt, and a new shower was framed in that spot, but with an angled wall that allowed full access to the toilet. We finished it with classic white subway tile with a light gray grout that wrapped around the room and was topped with a detailed tile chair-rail.
We made the vanity a little smaller, but more usable. We opted for a freestanding vanity that looked more like a piece of furniture and was set about a foot away from each corner, allowing for a larger walkway between it and the shower and helping the room feel larger. The vanity was painted a creamy white to mimic the built-in cabinet. The new vanity was taller than the existing one and had a stack of drawers in the center rather than a knee space, making it more functional for storage.
Arkad Refinishing worked their magic on the built-in cabinet, while our carpenter worked his on the pocket doors. Arkad was able to remove enough of the old paint to get the doors and drawers functioning again. They gave the whole cabinet a fresh coat of paint which had it looking brand new again. They replaced the missing shelves in the top portion and the latch. Our carpenter took the pocket doors completely off their tracks. He sanded the doors to eliminate the built-up paint and repaired the bent tracks. After a fresh coat of paint, the doors were carefully rehung and now work perfectly.
The lighting and electrical plan were updated as well. The two directional cans in front of the built-in were replaced with new LED lights positioned more in the center of the room to light the entire space. The fluorescent light box was removed and three sconces were installed at the vanity to evenly light the mirrors. An outlet was relocated from the side of the old cabinet to the wall near the second vanity sink.
Lastly, another outlet was installed near the toilet to accommodate a Washlet toilet seat.
We worked as a team with the homeowners and our trusted trade partners to ensure a perfect remodel. We were able to avoid costly change orders and expensive plumbing moves by exploring the options early on. The outcome is a beautiful and functional master bathroom.