Whether you’re looking to sell your home or simply want to improve it for your own lifestyle needs, most homes could benefit from a renovation.
There are several areas that are commonly addressed when renovating, small upgrades that won’t break the bank but will over-deliver on value, design, and curb appeal. It is sometimes surprising how simple fixes can make such a major difference!
Here are some great home renovation ideas that may completely change your outlook without stressing your budget:
Install A New Front Door
The simple task of replacing your main point of entry can add a great deal to your home’s value. Your exterior door is the first impression people get when they enter your home, so it’s a great way to make a statement.
Since it’s an exterior door, it’s important to choose one that will enhance both the security and energy efficiency of your home. It could be solid wood, fiberglass or steel, and you could choose one that features glass inserts. A coat of brightly-colored paint will punctuate the face of your home and make a bold statement.
Minor Kitchen Remodel
Updating your kitchen doesn’t have to cost a fortune. Plus, with a minor kitchen remodel, it is possible to recoup upwards of 80 percent of the cost of the renovation.
Some great kitchen remodel ideas that are easy and budget-friendly include:
- Try a new paint scheme: transform the look of your kitchen with shades of white or light-colored paint on the cabinetry to brighten up a small, dark space.
- New drawer and cabinet hardware are also a great way to add interest.
- New countertops can add warmth and style. Replace your laminate countertops with butcher block for a warm, farmhouse style. Poured concrete countertops suggest a more modern look.
- Changing up your backsplash is also a great way to transform the look of your kitchen. Subway tiles in monochrome or in colors to complement your new paint scheme will give the room a fresh new look; or choose a mosaic of glass tiles in a multitude of colors.
- Replacing cabinet doors with open-concept, glass or wire inserts can really open up a smaller kitchen space. Conversely, if you already have glass cabinet doors, think about lining the insides with textured wallpaper to shield the interior contents and add interest. Cabinet doors can also be removed completely, inviting you to highlight the rear of the cabinets with wallpaper or a contrasting paint color.
- Place new fixtures or pendant lighting to brighten up work areas and tie a style together.
Replacing your attic insulation will make your home more energy-efficient and you could well see the value reflected in your energy bills throughout the year. There are several types of attic insulation, though the type you choose will largely be based on whether the attic is finished or unfinished. A well-insulated attic will also give you some flexibility in terms of how you use it as well – storage? Play area? Office? The possibilities are endless!
New Deck or Patio
Outdoor living is very popular during the warmer months in St. Louis. A new deck or patio will go a long way to improving your summer fun, giving you expanded space for entertaining or soaking up the sun.
The number one thing you should check before you dive into a new deck reno project is whether to reuse the deck framework as this can save a great deal of time and expense. However, be sure that the deck footings, posts, and joists are structurally sound first.
Whether you want to build the man-cave of your dreams or a dedicated playroom where your kids can make as much mess as they want, a finished basement is always a great idea. Finishing your basement will add value and functionality to your home, helping you ease the clutter while creating a more spacious and versatile environment.
Depending on your budget, you might consider adding a home theater, a fitness room or a game room, complete with a pool table. Adding a gas fireplace insert creates a cozy space for the family to gather. Or, if your basement is big enough, you might enjoy having an extra bedroom and bathroom for overnight guests. If you entertain a great deal, you could think about adding a party room with a bar and small kitchen area.
All of these home renovation ideas have the ability to transform the look of your home, and best of all, they can be accomplished on a budget. If you are looking for some simple and stylish ways to update your home, reach out today. We’d love to show you how we can help.
For Josh, it’s always been about relationships. As J.T. McDermott’s 2nd generation owner, he believes nothing matters more than the enduring friendships that are built with the homeowners he serves. “If I can help both our clients grow and the team grow, everything else will take care of itself.”